Thursday, August 8, 2013

A changing world

School is back, and I am again really excited for another year. This is my 24th year (in a row) of being involved in school as either a student or an educator, and I can honestly say that I am more excited each year to get back to school. Some might call me crazy. Students might say "that's what you're supposed to say." I say "technology is the reason I get so excited for school."

Our school has decided to be a Google School which basically means that all students and staff will be set up with a Gmail account in our Lyons-Decatur domain (simply put: all people in school will have a similar email address so it is easier to use Google). I highly recommend all parents, students, and person who is breathing to get acquainted with Google Documents (Google Drive is the app to get to ALL the Google Documents). This product is FREE, and it is transforming the way we are able to do anything anymore. Students can work on the same spreadsheet, document, etc. with other students at the SAME time. (We call it collaboration to make us sound smarter).

I am by no means an expert in this technology stuff. In fact, I believe that the reason technology is exploding is because there is no "ONE" answer. It constantly changes, and it requires us to research and explore new ways and methods of doing things. When it seems like sometimes our lives are on repeat every 24 hours, technology changes how we do life. This is not always the best thing, but I no that I need challenges daily to keep my mind sharp. I realize that technology can also be bad, and that is why in my classroom we try to include social (group) activities along with technology (individual) activities. My one piece of advice: think of technology like the Cornhuskers. It may not always be the best, but it is what we do and it is who we are, and we will be Husker fans for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment